Sunday, January 27, 2008

God Be With You 'Till We Meet Again

I teach in the primary at church (the 6 year olds). Our sharing time leader got realeased a few weeks ago and she came in today to say goodbye to all of the kids. She had them sing the song she taught them called Latter-Day Prophets. It goes through all the names of the prophets and ends with "Gordon B. Hinckley shows the way, we hear and follow his words today." It is quite a catchy little tune and I have had it in my head all day. After dinner we received news that President Hinckley passed away.

He has been the prophet of the church since I was 16 years old. Throughout my teenage years I remember being so inspired by him. He and his wife came to Colorado to speak to the youth when I was 17. Carrie and I got there early and lined up outside the door to get good seats. We were more excited for this than we were a Smashing Pumpkins concert. They opened the doors and we walked as fast as we could without running (only b/c the leaders told us not to) to get the best seats. We ended up 3rd row back. In my journal I wrote, "It was an amazing spiritual experience which I wish could happen 10 times over." My sophmore year in college I read his biography by Sheri Dew (It took me the whole year). I remember being impressed by his accomplishments and at the same time his amazing humility. Serving the Lord was his priority and his testimony was bold. His humor made life fun and trials more bearable. I love how he used his cane. I think for the first year he had it he just carried it and pointed it at people or waved with it. Below he is tapping Elder Eyring on the head with it after Elder Eyring was sustained into the First Presidency.
I am just greatful to have had him as a prophet as long as we did. He once quoted Matt 10:39 "He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." He said that scripture changed his life and he has tried to live by its words. He was lost in the work of the Lord and his life here will be missed. "God be with you till we meet again!"

7 comments:

carrie said...

It is so sad for us - but I'm so glad to know that he is finally back with his wife. I'm sure he feels relief and joy. What a feeling to be on the other side, with your loved ones, knowing you have done your best. He will be missed.

Melissa said...

Amen! I remember you reading that book! I didn't remember that you actually finished it, though. Good job! Sorry to be irreverent...

Natalee said...

You're right, I didn't finish it until summer term after you left. So maybe it was a year and a half! I'm such a slow reader.

Mark and Kiss said...

Great tribute Natalee! Wish we could have met up with you at Christmas. It has been fun to read your posts and look at pictures. Mark and I particularly enjoyed your "list of 29" for Steve...ahhhhh. Check out or blog, I finally put something on after a 3 month break (too sick with the pregnancy). --Kirsten
www.markandkiss.blogspot.com
e-mail chacona1chick@yahoo.com if you need an invite.

Megan said...

Hi Maxfields!! I saw your blog link through the Ungurens blog. I don't know if you'll remember us, Natalee, but Steve and my husband Ian were roomates their freshman year. We just moved to Queen Creek(below Mesa) and would love to have you over for dinner sometime!

www.ianandmegan.blogspot.com

Megan said...

LOL So Ian's all gung ho about having y'all over. :) Are you free this Sunday?
My email is somes family @ hotmail . com

Jill said...

Nat-You're awesome.