Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Trust me, I would rather be blogging about what an amazing time we had at Aspen Grove, Everett learning to walk, or even Hudson learning to make his own bed, but unfortunately I have to blog about another broken bone. You ask why I have to? Well, several reasons really. 1. Word gets around and people ask details, so it saves me time (selfish, I know) 2. Sadie would ask years from now why we journaled Hudson's broken arm and skipped over her broken leg 3. We would look like abusers if we tried to hide it.

I now feel I have every reason to be totally paranoid about my kids getting injured. But what am I to do? How can I predict these unfortunate events? Is the solution for them to never jump on a trampoline again? Maybe I am doing something wrong, it can't be milk or calcium, they both drink plenty of milk, but maybe not enough of something else? Their genetic makeup? Somebody tell me because if I hear the word fracture or broken come from a doctors' mouth one more time I am going to lock us in the basement! Or at least take Mike up on his idea of making bubble wrap clothing for our children.


Alright the story. We were loving our vacation at Aspen Grove with Steve's family. The place is a dream (more on that later). After picking up Sadie from her day camp on Wednesday we noticed Sadie wouldn't put weight on her left leg. I thought at first that it might have been cramped or asleep, but it persisted. I asked Sadie and she said, "my friend hurt me and that wasn't nice, and they wouldn't stop jumping." I went to her camp counselor and asked if they knew of a time when Sadie fell or hurt her leg. The counselor said that on the tramp Sadie started crying and they thought she hurt her ankle. (She didn't fall off, these tramps look impossible to get injured on). She didn't complain after they picked her up and then they went down for naps and were picked up by parents. Adam assessed and said if she didn't put weight on it in the morning to get an X-Ray.


This morning I took her to urgent care and the doctor said "cortical compression fracture of the tibia". There are two hairline fractures, one by her knee and the other close to the ankle. We see the pediatric orthopedist Monday that we just discharged Hudson from last week. Unbelievable, I am in shock, but could be worse.

No comments: