Sunday, September 23, 2007

Daddy Long Legs Are My Friends


This is a scorpion. Unfortunately it is something we have become acquainted with here in the desert. I was pulling a bike out of a friends garage and she said "watch out", I moved to the side and she killed a scorpion with her shoe. I was shocked. When Steve or I see a scorpion it takes us about five minutes before we decide how we are going to kill it, "will it go through that shoe?" "don't get to close." "How are we going to dispose of it?". After the sighting I can't sleep for the rest of the night. I couldn't believe she just said "watch out" and killed it. I could tell she was desert bread. The one fortunate thing about these scorpions is they do glow in black light and only come out at night, so for the most part they are easily spotted. Daddy long legs are now my friends. I miss them.

7 comments:

Jill said...

Awesome, Nat. Now I won't be able to sleep again. EVER. We have mostly crickets and grasshopper things everywhere. Did see several little lizard things and a couple cockroaches at my parents house. That was awesome. Why did I move here? Just kidding. When everyone else is covered in snow then I'll be happy.

Natalee said...

I like the lizards they eat the scorpions food source which keeps them away and they are nice. They don't sting children. Cockroaches gross. Crickets gross.

carrie said...

This is probably like how when people are at my parents house, and they see deer in the backyard, they get really excited.

Except that deer are soft and cuddly, and scorpions are evil and scary. How many have you killed now?

Sorry I didn't get to call you back. I hope you had a good weekend in CO - call me when you have another free minute. I miss you.

By the way - do you really look at the broncos link often?

di said...

my husbands favorite story to tell is when his mom found a scorpion in his crib when he was 2 days old. lovely!

Natalee said...

i never look at the broncos link. just like the broncos as you know. do you still hate them?

carrie said...

I don't hate them as much as I used to. But I do resent the fact that 4 hours of every sunday is ruined by my husband watching them on TV (he records every game.)

traveltwin said...

you feel how i felt when i moved! except in australia we have huntsman and whitetail spiders, plenty of species of snakes that will kill you, crocs, box jellyfish . . . did i miss any? oh yeah, SHARKS!!!