Saturday, October 6, 2007

Just the motivation I needed

A few weeks ago my sister-in-law called and asked me if I wanted to participate in a health challenge. Everyone puts in twenty dollars and receives points for following rules everyday. The rules are
1. At least 7 hours of sleep
2. 30 min exercise
3. 30 more min exercise (extra point)
4. Dined out w/good choices/didn't dine out
5. No sweets (2 free days)
6. 64 oz of water
7. 3 Servings of Veggies, 2 Servings of Fruit
8. No eating after dinner/8pm
9. No soda/Unhealthy snacks
Each week point totals are published by email and at the end of 12 weeks whoever has the highest total wins the big money and there is 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes.
This was just what I needed to motivate me to be healthier and get the rest of the baby weight off. I think it is a great idea, so I thought I would share (with the three people who read this blog :) ) because after two weeks of doing it I am already feeling healthier and losing weight. It is amazing what a little competition does to me. I can tell where my weaknesses are however. I am usually chugging water just before bed (trying to spread that out a bit) and when Steve and I finally sit down to watch an episode of Gilmore Girls (Steve is gonna love me for posting that) I am on the floor doing leg lifts, situps, and lifting weights...60 min a day is kind of killing me. If you do end up starting a group of your own call me so I can give you some ideas on changes to make to the rules.

17 comments:

Emily said...

Those are tough rules!!! I'm very impressed! I couldn't keep up.

Jill said...

My favorite part was the Gilmore Girls part. I'll be sure to bring that up sometime casually when I'm around you two. Good luck on the rules, and I'll be asking for tips in a few weeks.

di said...

i am all for some motivation! i would love some more info.
my email is kydiman@netzero.net
please tell steve, ben, and amy "hi" from me! i would also love to hear how nikki and emily are doing.
please drop me a note.
hope all is well!

traveltwin said...

wow, thanks for posting that. i've been looking for some motivation myself. i can totally identify with trying to get off the rest of the baby weight, except you've had three and i'm still on my first! oops! you're an inspiration to me, nats, so thank you.

jo said...

wow! thanks for this. i'm trying to get one of these started in my family now! any extra info you have would be so helpful. my email is jowrites365@yahoo.com thanks!

Natalee said...

A little more info on this...Everyone keeps track of their points and one person is in charge of posting the points (with names (added motivation)) each week. The things I would change are instead of 60 min exercise I would do 30 (more balanced) and I would do 2 free points of your choosing per week. Prizes are distributed to highest point totals at the end of the 12 weeks. Anyone who needs more info feel free to email me at natalee.maxfield@gmail.com and I can forward you the spreadsheet.

Janice said...

Love this idea! I might just challenge my husband to this.

Unguren said...

Congrats on the new system. I say what ever works. Blake did the biggest loser at his work and won! Gotta love a $150 gift card to Best Buy. Money is good motivation.

carrie said...

hey totally off topic. how do you get those postcards for free on-line again?

Danielle said...

I want to do this!! I am friends with Teri Watkins... What are your suggestions? daniellemook@hotmail.com

Natalee said...

Danielle, go to my reply (about half way down the page) and it should answer your questions. Go for it, it is awesome. Though today was fast Sunday and I was actually looking forward to it because I wouldn't have to eat so many vegetables or chug so much water! Good luck

Adam said...

free postcards what? Wish you were here! I definitely would be in but would never get in the exercise! Too bad we can't swap! Love ya.

Adam said...

okay that post was from whit not Adam :)

Natalee said...

whit good to hear from you...I was trying to think who Adam was...my brother-in-law? thanks for the clarification. we miss you guys.

Natalee said...

whit good to hear from you...I was trying to think who Adam was...my brother-in-law? thanks for the clarification. we miss you guys.

Emily said...

hey nat- how're the rules going? I hear arizona is treating you well. Cute pics!

oh- and you've been tagged (see my blog)

Anonymous said...

Nat, you look great! Whats your secret in staying fit after three kids. You will now be my motivator to get out their and get back to what I neglected all these years. Remember when we went almost everyday!? Good old days. I miss ya.